Friday, May 27, 2011

Pain

The marks on my ankle are from the cuff that cut blood circulating to my foot

My last day at UF was May 13th.  I baked 2 key lime pies and a delicious chocolate cake.  It was my way of saying thanks to the sweet persons I worked with.  On Thursday of that week my co-workers threw me a sweet baby shower.  I was so grateful to have been employed at UF throughout my pregnancy.  There were tough times, then there were fun times.  I think I came out a better person and Jon has said so many sweet compliments to how much I have changed for the better because of the hard work I put in. Needless to say I am very grateful to be closing that chapter of my life and on to the next...

That weekend I worked my tail off!  I cleaned until 1:00am, I shopped till I dropped, and I just simply wouldn't stop.  Why? Because that following Monday I would be undergoing an incredibly painful foot procedure. 

Monday rolled around and I headed to my OB before getting my foot ripped up. Clara is doing wonderful. She's right on track and her movements + hiccups are constant. Jon then drove me to my foot appointment and all I can say is WOW. I should probably mention that the week before I had passed a very painful kidney stone. It caused me to have some contractions that were too close together so I headed to the hospital and 6 hours later they stopped the contractions and sent me home. I won't lie, that was very painful.

Monday's foot procedure was a different kind of pain.  The doctor gave me 6 shots on my foot of lidocaine and ladies and gentlemen, that shot was hell. Pure 100% burning through your skin torture.  Once he shot my foot he went in with a needle and dug through the veins on my foot.  I didn't skirm, I didn't cry, my face was so stoic that the doctor was in complete shock- "Young Claudia, are you OK?" I just looked up at him and said, "yes, I am in a zone right now" All I could do was stare out at the driveway and my focus point was a red mustang- thank you to whomever drove that red mustang! 

After my foot was numbed the doctor put a cuff on my ankle to restrict blood from my foot. Normally they administer a shot of adrenaline but this shot would have gone straight into Clara Lucia and would have increased her heartbeat way too fast.  That was not an option.  

So, away the doctor went!  After 40 minutes he finished and I wobbled away with Jon in my arms. And so now begins the healing process.  I'll post more soon and tell you how the recovery is going and why I chose to do this procedure now versus after the baby is born.  

3 comments:

Michelle Knight said...

Oh Claudia, you've been through a lot! I bet you can't wait until sweet Clara gets here!

Vanessa said...

Oh you brave girl, but I am sure you made the right choice by having it done now, you will need to be on your feet a lot after she is here and that would be worst. Get better soon. Can't wait to see her little face.

Janelle said...

Wow, that sounds painful! I hope you are recovering and feeling much better now :)