#1- In 2004 Jon and I were honeymooning in the beautiful island of Maui, HI. We were going to take a drive around the island and decided to stop by Wal-Mart to pick up some driving music. We picked up the soundtrack to Spider Man and Jimmy Eat World. The drive was long and we decided to make it a game of memorizing 2 of the songs in each album. We chose "vindicated" and "the middle". We then tested each other to see who best memorized the song. I don't remember who won but every year I replay those 2 songs and grin ear to ear as I recall moments of that beautiful honeymoon period of our lives. I hope I always remember the lyrics to those songs :)
#2- On an unrelated note but yet related, Jon and I finally made it to church on Sunday after 3 weeks of being ill. As we were getting ready to make the drive to church Jon made the comment that his throat was feeling a lot better. We pulled up to our small and humble church building and felt real good about being in Sacrament meeting. After 5 new members were confirmed, I noticed the Bishop of our ward making eye contact with me. Just then the second counselor of our ward approached us, "don't shoot the messenger", he says to us with his awesome New Zealand accent, "but the Bishop would like for you two to give a talk...right now". As the words escaped his lips we heard our names being called from the pulpit. The second counselor then told us to speak about missionary work and also marriage. He then left and Jon and I stared at each other. I quickly began to think about our marriage and what on earth I could possibly say. I literally had the deer in headlights look. I said a prayer in my mind asking for guidance from the Spirit as to what I should say. Jon then leaned over to me and suggested I speak about my father and missionary work and Jon said he would speak about our marriage. Now as many of you know I absolutely worship the ground my father walks on. He is one of the most important figures in my life. Speaking about him is like reciting the ABC's. It comes so naturally to me. I got up to the pulpit and related the story of my father's leap of faith in coming to America. I won't go into details but what I want to mention is the immense feeling I received from the Spirit as I spoke. I felt calmness, love and clarity. I didn't want those feelings to go away. After I spoke Jon got up and gave a very moving talk about his conversion story and how we fell in love. After we were done about 1/2 of the congregation approached us commending on our wonderful preparation in such wonderful talks. I simply thanked them and then thanked my Heavenly Father for answering my prayer and providing me with the right words to say to the congregation that day. I had never before experienced such a moment but I am glad I did. Jon and I were sincerely grateful for a Bishop that was inspired to ask us to give these talks. Had I known a week ahead of time that I would be giving a talk during Sacrament I would have been sweating bullets and knowing myself I would have been over-prepared. But I wasn't, I allowed the Spirit to touch my heart and left that Sunday afternoon with a renewed confidence that I know the Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true restored gospel on this earth today. And that my marriage to Jon was inspired by the same Spirit that confirms the truth of that fact.
2 comments:
That is amazing that you guys were able to give a talk like that at the drop of a hat! I think I would have hyperventilated or something!! Good for you, you are inspiring!
what a moving post to read, and such an amazingly fortifying experience for you & Jon (and all who read this). Thank you so much for bringing the Spirit to my heart this morning:*)
Post a Comment