Saturday, March 8, 2008

20 years ago

Wow, this is a thinker but here it goes:


20 years ago: I was three and boarding a plane to the United States of America due to a spiritual prompting my father had received. I had survived 2 kidnapping attempts & a fall on a cactus plant that split my forehead open. Before we left my brother Andres was born, an adorable 'pepa head' who I would come to adore and love immensely. A sister bond forged with love was continuing to grow and an admiration for a father's sacrifice would be remembered forever.



15 years ago: I was 8 and entering the waters of baptism. I was wearing a beautiful but incredibly itchy white dress that we borrowed from my father's co-worker's daughter. By now my remaining siblings were born, Jonathan with bright blond energetic hair and Stephanie with the cutest smile I had ever seen. At this time my family grew closer, a father's faith was tested and my youngest sister would have to live with a small imperfection. I was pushed from a playground tower and landed head first onto a metal slide (I think I might have been part of the research done to outlaw metal slides in South Florida). My big sister immediately ran towards me as well as my father. My eyes rolled back and white bubbled saliva was coming out of my mouth. My dad put his hands on my head and in the name of our Heavenly Father screamed to the Heavens above to not take me away. I miraculously survived.



10 years ago: I was 13 and what was the start of my rebellious teenage years. We had moved a couple of times by now and were in Central Florida. I was vivacious and was constantly keeping my my parents on their toes. I had many crushes and broke many hearts. New friendships were forming and my love of reading was soon diminished due to the public school's curriculum.



5 years ago: I turned 18 and the following month I would meet the love of my life. I was a senior and ready to "burst out of the double doors" (John Meyer song)



3 years ago: I was 20 and anxious to get out of Central Florida. Jon was working on his undergrad and I was trying to figure out who I really was. I was also enjoying the role of a house wife. My relationship with Jon was getting stronger. My relationship with my mom had never been better. My dear brother Andres was leaving on a mission and he took a piece of my heart with him. I have since got it back as he returned from serving an honorable mission.



1 year ago: Slowing moving my way out of Florida, have found my place here in Gainesville. I have met new friends and am enjoying my education at the University of Florida. Jon is made class president and is really enjoying his chosen field of profession.



Yesterday: Received a phone call from my neighbor who was bunkered in her bathroom with her 2 cats due to a Tornado warning. Drove to the University during a horrible storm to submit my research paper. Went to Best Buy and bumped into Phillip Scherer. Spoke on the phone with Nicole for 21/2 hours. Watched 'Dan in Real Life' and ate popcorn with my husband. Fed my fishy and went to sleep.

Today: Woke up and started ironing my decorative pillow covers. Made a few phone calls, wrote to my brother who is on his mission (the energetic blond hair kid), fed fishy, ate some Nerds candy, and am now typing this tag.

Tomorrow: Am looking forward to the rest of my life...

I tag Nicole and Marie

1 comment:

Mitch's Mad World said...

Hi from the Sapps'. Enjoyed the little insights into your life. Loved the note about Jon's grandfather. I know he must be very happy to have such a wonderful inlaw in you and the grandson who is so wonderful and lucky to have you as an eternal companion.

Did you know I have a blog? Here also. Mitchs Mad Ramble or something like that.

Be careful what you say though. Our grandchildren will likely have access to these our thoughts in the years to come!