Sunday, January 30, 2011

Secret Project Revealed

Last year my favorite carpenter Anna White revealed what was behind her daughter's closet. I was so amazed and knew right away I wanted to replicate it! Life got a little busy and several months later I was a bit stressed out and needed an outlet. I decided to buy some wood and go from there. I sanded, drilled, and painted and felt so relieved and happy. I remembered how happy the closet plans made me so ladies and gents, my secret project revealed:

My inspiration:

ANN WHITE
Images by Anna White

This ended up being a lot simpler than I thought. I was driven by my lack of storage and closet space plus our new baby. Every square each in my home is claimed for....but not the inside of my closet doors! Genius I say! Simply genius!


This is what we call the Harry Potter closet. It's a utility closet underneath the stairs. There is a 2 inch gap of unused space when the door is closed. This is why I think it's genius- you're using a space that would otherwise be wasted. I painted the inside of the closet door a pretty green thanks to Martha Stewart paints. 


Here's where I added a touch of my own. I decided  to paint the whole bookcase with chalkboard paint! I can imagine saying to Clara, "here's a piece of chalk, go write on the bookcase :)" 

I gave Jon a piece of chalk and told him to write whatever he wanted. This is what he came up with! 

Here's an angle view, the bookcase has wheels to help support the weight of the bookcase. 

Jon told me this was to be my last project :( I wish I had a garage so I can always be working on more secret projects. All of the projects on my blog have been done in my living room. I guess after a while it gets annoying and messy!

I was so excited when it was done. I felt like I was blessed to be able to do this. What do you think of my secret project?

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

That is such a great Idea, and usage of space. I wish I had as much energy as you do right now. but this 26 weeks growing belly is slowing me way down. How have you been? You look so cute preggers. I am excited that our little girls will be close in age and we will be able to keep up with each other through blogging world.

Christine Boress said...

---I loved catching up on all of your wonderful blogs. You might want to let Cousins Larry and Sheri see those pictures of Uncle Julie. You should put a baby picture of Jon with all of his hair on one of your blogs, too! The bookshelves are awesome, but here's some advice: even though the book case is on wheels, you should figure out a way to easily attach/detach it from the wall (perhaps with hooks--high up--and
short chains) because as soon as little Clara is crawling around and pulling herself up on things, she could topple something on top of herself. --And that's all for the grandmotherly advice. Keep on blogging! You're doing a fine job!